Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Tony Packo Saved My Life

Okay, maybe that is a little dramatic, but here’s what happened.

A friend and fellow chili dog lover told me a while back that the famous Tony Packo’s chili dogs out of Toledo was selling their sauce in cans at our neighborhood grocery store. I looked several times following our conversation and never found any on the shelf.

Flash forward. When my wife was out of town recently I quickly resorted to my worst eating habits which means hot dogs with chili sauce and went to the grocery, and not even bothering to look for Packo's again I grabbed a can of “it’s better than nothing” Castleberry’s chili dog sauce (as in the just recalled for botulism Castleberry’s) and started to walk down the aisle when I spied a pile of Tony Packo’s chili sauce cans.

It was finally there. I was in the right place at the right time and quickly put the Castleberry’s back.

You don’t get this kind of canned food drama on the cooking channel my friends. So, who knows. Maybe I dodged a bout with botulism thanks to TP’s

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good save!

Glad you're okay.

Valerie Loveland said...

At my job at the pet resort, someone brought in some dog ice cream sandwiches called "Chilly Dogs."

Keith said...

Greg, yes, all 240 pounds of me is okay ... ugh! Too old for childish eating habits ... too .... old ...

Valerie, I would bet you a rawhide those "Chilly Dogs" are more nutritious than what I was chowing down. Thanks for coming by. What a great sounding gig. Pet resort.

Andrew Shields said...

I lived in Toledo from 74-80 and we used to go to TP's regularly! Thanks for the memory.

Search Poor Fool