Sunday, July 22, 2007

My Poor Basil is Hanged

Before the Basil went south we got a couple of great pestos. But now the plant seems to have lost its zing. In case it is not apparent from the photo, the leaves are more yellow than the deeper green they should be; also, they remain furled up like so--like little canoes. Thinking maybe they were outgrowing their pots we put them in the ground about two weeks ago but nothing has changed. If this looks familiar to you please let me know your thoughts on what ails me basils. RJ? Anyone?

3 comments:

marybid said...

Have you tried miracle grow? My herbs and tomatoes were hurting until I gave them some, and now they're resplendent (almost).

RJGibson said...

Keith--Did you plant the herbs in those "biodegradable" peat pots? If you did, that could be your problem. I'd reccomend digging them up and replanting them, sans peat pots. Those things seem to give too much acid for some plants and also help keep them a little bit root bound. We had a similar thing with some herbs this spring. I trashed the peat pots and they're all growing swimmingly now.

Fertilizing with Miracle Gro (or its off brand equivalents) will be a big help once they're re-set.

Keith said...

Thanks Green thumbs - Miracluous Gro it is.

I will post a recipe for what I have found to be the besto pesto ... if either of you are hungry for some delicious goodness.

Search Poor Fool