Monday, June 4, 2007

Wordsworth

Wordsworth wrote nursery rhymes apparently. Actually, it's from the Prologue to Peter Bell, but it has an unbearable nursery rhyme sweetness to it. Of the Romantics, I have spent more time with WW than any other and this stanza still surprises me when I read it. I wish my son were three again so I could sing it to him. I might just put it to a tune and sing it anyway.

THERE'S something in a flying horse,
There's something in a huge balloon;
But through the clouds I'll never float
Until I have a little Boat,
Shaped like the crescent-moon.


Also, happy birthday to my son RW.

2 comments:

RJGibson said...

I'm not familiar with this poem of WW (I spent more time with Keats and Coleridge) but it seems awfully playful (not something I necessarily associate with him). I'm going to have to pull him off the shelf and give him a read this weekend.

Keith said...

It just fits. You can read WW when you're not toiling in the garden/grounds.

My heart leaps up when I behold a plot of earth to work. Etc. I don't know if you will dig the poem as a whole. I am just sweet on this part.

Search Poor Fool