Monday, April 30, 2007

Ruefle Intermission - World Poetry Tour

Currently, I have 7 Mary Ruefle books on the floor at beside - all through the University of Akron's awesome Ohio-Link service. They are just visitors, with me a short while.

Tristimania was the first book of Ruefle's I read, and my first reaction was What the Hell?

My second reaction was she has rue in her name. I have wood.

My third reaction was what the hell.

Analogy: Mary Ruefle's poems are the Marx brother who comes up and puts his leg over your arm.

The back cover blurb I might write:

Ruefle's poems are (not always but often) an erratic mix of near non-sequitars, and apparent contradictions that conspire to surprise with an unpolished polish that lights up the world I thought I knew. Her funky, ad-lib voice flies from comedian to blues singer in the blink of a word. I adore her.

THIS JUST IN: Indeed I Was Pleased With The World came out in 2007 - that makes 10 books. Anyone read it, have a take on it? Isn't there a rule about how many single volumes you throw to your readers before you give them a selected or collected? Sigh. I think I have a poetry crush.

No comments:

Search Poor Fool