Wednesday, April 11, 2007

George Seferis: Haiku

Here’s a quick take from the journal of George Seferis. Interesting enough read. Much about his work as a diplomat. And a few entries on Mrs. Zen - this curious little figurine he made out of a walnut shell.

Kikakou, one of Basho’s pupils, presented this haiku to his master:

Look, a dragonfly,
remove its wings—
a pepper tree.

“We mustn’t abuse nature,” Basho scolded and told him to reverse the haiku if he wanted to make it better:

Look, a pepper tree
add wings –
a dragonfly.

3 comments:

Bill said...

Good to see you up and running,Keith.

Unknown said...

Keith:

And I don't remember your blog being down. I check it pretty regularly.

Anyway, I'm glad you're back up. I hope everything is okay. We need you here.

All the best,

Greg Rappleye

Keith said...

Thanks Bill.

You know, I wanted to ask if you have any work out for consideration right now? Anything forth coming?

I have not sent anything out - haiku or tanka - for a while. Kind of lost my steam. But visiting your site kind of makes me fidgety for writing haiku again.

Greg, thanks. Everything's okay and getting better - I hope.

Search Poor Fool