Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I Will Rock You

My partner and I at work spend a great deal of time talking about our feelings, love and mostly music when we go outside for his smoke breaks.

Music-wise, we challenge each other with questions like … top 5 Beatles songs, or best rock voice, or most personally influential albums … and the one we always ask (like two old men who always repeat themselves) is which top 5 albums where all the rage during your teen years.

So, for better or worse, here they are.

Styx Grand Illusion
Boston Boston
Framptom Comes Alive
Queen News of the World
Van Halen’s first

The list brings tears to my eyes – for a lot of reasons. Like trying to dance to Come Sail Away at senior prom. I am thinking of this because I just borrowed Boston from someone and work and … It’s been such a long time ….

5 comments:

Andrew Shields said...

Hey, isn't that mostly 70s music, hence mislabeled? :-)

Boston was REAL big at the high school I was at in the late seventies, since Tom Scholz was a graduate of our school.

"It's more than a feeling ..."

Keith said...

Why yes it is. Thanks for the catch. Listening to the Cure writing about 70's music became 80's. Also, I think Animal from the Muppets was based on Sid, Boston's drummer.

Bill said...

70s music? High school?

God, I'm old.

Andrew Shields said...

It's funny: when I think of the late seventies in music, I don't think of that stuff, but it's all stuff I was listening to then. But now, to me the late seventies in memory means:

Dire Straits
Al Stewart, Year of the Cat
Pink Floyd, The Wall
Supertramp, Breakfast in America

All things that I listened to back then, of course, but a lot of stuff has fallen by the wayside (Styx, Boston, Kansas, Journey).

Clare said...

Hi Keith! Flashbacks! It's funny how much the music in our high school years impacts us. Hmmm, that must be why I like late 70's/early 80's music so much!! Not that I liked high school all that much, but the music from then is so rich with memories -- it brings back a vast kaleidoscope of images.:)

Search Poor Fool