Friday, April 4, 2008

The Swede sprang up with the celerity of a man escaping from a snake on the floor. "I don't want to fight!" he shouted. "I don't want to fight!"

One of the most interesting studies in fear and violence, and I guess mob/pack violence, is Stephan Crane's Blue Hotel. Is there something in the smell of fear that drives aggression? Ask the Swede. Does weakness bring on a violent or aggressive response? You can't really generalize about such chemistry, but my experience says it does. And where does Morrissey fit into all this when he says "it takes guts to be gentle and kind".

I remember being warned as a young kid, when around strange or growling dogs, "Don't let him know you are afraid". Or maybe it was walk don't run. Which even makes a nice surfing song title. Anyway, here is a link to Crane's story on line.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When reading about dogs a lot last year, I saw something about animals being afraid at the vets, before they had ever had a bad experience in the office. One theory is that the other animals there were afraid and the new animals can smell it, which in turn makes them afraid. What would fear smell like and how would it be similar to anger, horror or love?

Keith said...

Reminds me of this idiotic paper I wrote in undergrad school on Wordsworth and pheromones. The gentle vistant in the breeze and all that gooey stuff. In short, the smell of nature made him horny. Read Nutting for God sakes. The way he's resting his cheek on that mossy rock. Hot. Very hot.

Search Poor Fool