Thursday, April 3, 2008

I'll Kick Your Ass

I am thinking about violence tonight. Bullies. Sword is mightier than the pen types. Recalling the handful of "fights" I was in growing up--high school that is. I don't think I have been in any kind of fights in college. Or maybe I was hit so hard I just never realized it. I am thinking about why I fought. How I did. The adrenaline rush and heart pounding I can still remember too clearly. I think about it more and more now that Whit is getting to that age where boys fight. Compared to the stories we see today, guns, guns, guns, etc., my time at the end of the bully's knuckles seem tame. But I too was a pretty mean bastard. Mean in return to those I could eat up. Christ, it's all so caveman and still is, probably always will be. What's this I hear about civilized society?

I would really like to hear from others about their 'fight' experiences. Were you the aggressor, the victim. I'd like to hear from dads especially and if you have ever had to deal with your kid fighting with other kids and how you handled it.

3 comments:

Jason Haas said...

I was both aggressor and victim, and when my hair is cropped close, their on scars on my head to prove the second assessment.

Later, in high school, my dad's advice sunk in: stand up when necessary, but don't start what isn't necessary.

My last go-round was in college, which left the tale-tell signs on my scalp. It's a long involved story, more than we need here, but it didn't end well for anyone.

Keith said...

RH - welcome. Always nice to have another Akron blogger come by.
Thanks for passing along your experience.

Kate Evans said...

The only time I was ever hit (I grew up with two screaming, non-hitting sisters) was when a drunk frat boy accidentally slammed me in the nose at a party--his friend ducked. It was such a shock to be hit that way. I remember thinking it should have hurt--and that it would probably hurt later--but at the time I was shocked at the motion of a fist stopping with my face. There's something surreal about receiving a punch.

Search Poor Fool