Tuesday, May 22, 2007

'Scuse Me While I Kiss This Guy'

Inspired in a cock-eyed way by Brent’s Neil Young post, I was thinking about misunderstood song lyrics. I think someone put together a whole book of them if I’m not mistaken.

I’ll start with the two most painful "misunderstandings" I came up with and maybe you can add to the list:

1. Pretty little love song, ten feet tall.

Can you guess the song?

And …

2. Dirty deeds and the thunder chief.

Guess again?

Update: As much as I despise my profession (advertising) it does cough up some good lines and funnies here and there.

On the subject of song lyrics, I saw a campaign for speakers/sound quality a while back and the whole campaign was built around misunderstood song lyrics. By far, the funniest was:

Small common Walter, the fire engine guy. Think Deep Purple.

Do you have any doozies?

9 comments:

Brent Goodman said...

I'll take "done dirt cheap" for $250, Alex!

My favorite misquote a la Wendy Gavin from another neil young classic "helpless" - Big Bird's flying across the sky . . .

Andrew Shields said...

I had a hard-on, coming from your window.

("Bertha" is one hot lady, after all.)

Keith said...

Man, I need a cheat sheet for these.

Help me out guys - what are the originals?

Brent, you got the AC/DC line, the other is Marshall Tucker: Heard it in a love song, can't be wrong ...

RJGibson said...

She's got electric boobs, a mohair suit, you know I read it in a magazine.

Anonymous said...

From Steve Miller: We don't chat at the line up, don't carry me too far away...

And a certain seven year old I know was listening to "Sexy Thing": I believe in mackerls! Where ya from? You suck some eggs, you suck some eggs...

Keith said...

RJ, why do electric boobs seem plausible somehow - maybe it's just me.

Chellpenz, mackerels and eggs is better

robin andrea said...

Have you ever heard of mondegreens? I can't think of my favorites at the moment, but I love them when they happen.

Brent Goodman said...

I believe in mackerels too!

Keith, the original NY line is birds plural, not the sesame street singular.

Ah and how can we forget the classic

"blinded by the light,
wrapped up like a douche
in the motor of the night"

RJGibson said...

Keith--Given EJ's predilection and penchant for frippery and satorial excesses we should be lucky that the electric boobs were the least of his sartorial sins. And apparently, today, alliteration is not my least vice.

Search Poor Fool