Monday, May 7, 2007

Sunday Fuzz or Daddy Gets a Ticket


Banking on Joseph Beth bookseller's reputation as being strong in literature/poetry, my wife and son and I drove up to Cleveland this weekend ready to blow some dough on books.

The poetry selection was measley. Wait, actually it was Measley (with a capital M.) Though (R.J. have you heard?) there was a Collected hard cover C.K. Williams on the shelf and I thought of all my friends for whom this will be a good thing.

My son got a cool Transformers book, my wife a bit of fiction, and I got a ticket from the fuzz for turning left against a no left turn sign to get out of the parking lot.

The ticket was pink, a good read but kind of dense. Minimalist I think. Kind of anemic on imagery, but it had nice flow. Line breaks were pretty novel. Often, rather than elipses or enjambment, the writer employed little boxes that were checked. It was also two-sided. Clever.

So, that was my purchase for the weekend.

3 comments:

RJGibson said...

Keith--sorry I'm tardy. I was out of town all yesterday. Let's see if this works.

Oy--I hate those little pink tickets.

I did know about the Williams--I have his paperback selected. I'm hoping that some good fairy reads my Amazon wishlist and notes its presence for my birthday or christmas.

Keith said...

Well, welcome home then. Everything is working. Thanks.

I think we are going to check into the 1/2 Price Books locations next - apparently there are two somewhere close by. The Borders here is no better than Barnes and Nobles. Arrgggh. "No, we don't have that but we can order it." Etc. Etc.

RJGibson said...

Nothing beats remaindered book stores. There was a great one near me that closed earlier this year. Sometimes the poetry selection was dodgy, but they had a great bunch of short story collections. I picked up tons of Alice Munro, AM Homes, Francine Prose, Don DeLilo when they closed just after xmas.

Search Poor Fool