Thursday, May 17, 2007

Empathy Belly


I put this poem up a while back, and thought I would bring it back for the PT humor theme. I found the belly in what was called the Anatomical Products Catalog. Wish I still had it as there were a lot of interesting items. The poem begins with an epigraph: the best source of innovative & educational products on medicine, health & childbirth.

ANATOMICAL PRODUCTS CATALOG

Waiting for the belly. This too
is practice. Instantly discover

what it feels like to be pregnant,
the catalog says. My Empathy Belly

is late, though. Fetal kicking, shortness
of breath, bladder pressure — the whole

nine yards sewn into one weighted vest.
I am close to worry, though. I think

the man in the ad for the belly, smiling warmly,
happily holding his belly, could just as easily be

well-fed as pregnant and I remember
my grandpa rising from the table

and holding his domed gut in the same satisfied way.
That these two conditions appear so similar to me

is disturbing. I fear this could confuse my pregnancy
experience, despite the product’s excellence.

6 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

Some empathy. Her fear is not misplaced either..!

I like it!

Rob Kistner said...

The belly doesn't disturb me as much as the breasts.

He seems to be competing? :)

Enjoyed this piece Keith.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for checking out my site Keith and yes I am a Michigander. I feel for ya out in Lebron country. Check out this site:

http://www.need4sheed.com/

to get your Piston's fix, maybe it'll help! :)

Keith said...

Gautami, thanks for coming by - happy that you liked it.

Rob, hmmm, he may be competing - but that's not very empathetic :) even a great product can only get you so far I guess.

Lisa, thanks for the link. I am sending it around work today and torturing the locals.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this poem and the idea of an empathy belly had me smiling this afternoon ;)

Keith said...

Lisa, it's game time.

Thanks BB for the read and for coming by. I do wish I had the catalog still. There was no shortage of equally "interesting" products - lots more grins.

Search Poor Fool