Thursday, May 8, 2008

What a %$!#@ Mess

Who knows why things pop into my head.

I have been Googling: “David mother stomach cancer suicide” for the last twenty minutes and finding nothing. It happened about ten years ago. I remember the son (a grown man) was named David. His mother lived alone and between the two of them they really had no money to speak of. Neither was employed so there were no health benefits. When the mother became ill and went to the hospital she was diagnosed with inoperable stomach cancer. A death sentence basically.

I don’t remember much more of the story except that over the next few days, between the two of them, the mother made the decision to kill herself rather than go through the ravages of cancer a die a slow death. So, one Fall day David drove out to his mother’s house with his pistol on the front seat of his truck. He took it inside, gave it to her, then walked back out and sat on the porch. A few minutes later he heard the shot and hung his head to weep.

I tried to put myself in David’s shoes when days later, the hospital contacted him to say they’d made a mistake and she did not have stomach cancer. I tried to put myself in the Sheriff’s shoes who arrested him and brought criminal charges against him.

No comments:

Search Poor Fool