Thursday, May 15, 2008

What Emily Said

Yesterday, in the kids/teen section at Borders in Canton, there was a sign up that read (in its own perky way) Books! The Safe Gift for Kids. I don't know about THAT. I mean what's more dangerous than an informed and well-read mind - besides dogfood these days. Reminds me of a poem by Emily:

There is no Frigate like a Book
To take us Lands away,
Nor any Coursers like a Page
Of prancing Poetry –
This Traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of Toll –
How frugal is the Chariot
That bears a Human soul.

So much depends on what kind of cargo's aboard that frigate, though. Ann Geddes books probably ARE safe. Captain Underpants, hell no. But seriously, I wonder how the good people at Borders think of books as safe? Who knows what kind of crazy notions them crazy kids might get in their heads once they get ta readin'. If frigates are so "safe" why do we have to suffer through news of some conversative clamp down (every year I hear of it somewhere) on certain books. Reminds me of the time, a few years back, some dip shits banned Of Mice and Men - I think it was in Wisconsin.

Them's fighting words my friends. And books are NOT safe.

No comments:

Search Poor Fool