Thursday, January 15, 2009

Cold Advisory - Schools Closed FOR WINTER


Whitman is home today because the schools all closed thanks to the weather. As I write this, he is in the room next to me singing "School's Out" in that loud, "I have my ear buds in and don't know how loud I am" way. No more teachers, no more books. Etc. Hearing what he listened to on his own, it became clear he had a metal head's orientation so I put Cooper and a few other older rock songs on a mix for him. Bad to the Bone. Some Hagar. Power by Rainbow. Last week I played him old ZZ Top, before they joked out with Sharp Dressed Stan. He likes La Grange best and says "play the one with the deep voice". Weird thing is, it all seems backwards. As a young kid, shouldn't he be the one into Emo instead of me? I long for the day as well, when we can sit and listen to The Smiths in our black t-shirts and talk about howzitgoing.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, yes.

I know this problem well.

My five year-old's hero is Angus Young from AC/DC.

Whatever happened to the Lone Ranger?

Keith said...

About the Lone Ranger. I think Shane kicked his ass one day over some triffle and the LR went into hiding. Rumor has it.

marybid said...

My daughter is obsessed with Free to Be You and Me. It's like I'm reliving my own childhood over again, except I can do much better dance moves now.

I never know that school is cancelled. I feel like an idiot every time.

Keith said...

That's the Marlo Thomas record, right?

With Rosie Grier singing It's Alright to Cry? Of course, it's not alright really, and that is what Heavy Metal can teach us.


I liked her second album I'm OK You're OK. ;)

Lynn said...

Day two of too-cold-for-school closures here. Brutal, man. Aiden's iDog was blaring all day with Sponge Bob songs (ugh) he, himself, downloaded (where did he learn THAT?).

Search Poor Fool