Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Plants, Bodies, Glass: A weekend in Pittsburgh

As something of a last hurrah before our son went back to school this week, my wife Gwendonna planned a trip to Pittsburgh (just a couple hours away) and we took in the Chihuly exhibit at the Phipp's Conservatory.I have to say, walking through room after room of tropical plants married with sensuous glass is very soothing. (The flirty little orchids did their part as well.)

On Sunday, we went to the Carnegie Science Center and put our hands on a lot of hands on type exhibits. Whit built a small structure on an earthquake simulator and apparently he knows something of engineering because his creation survived all the shaking. Easily a 1.1 on the Ritcher Scale. In the adjacent building, I got a close look at myself via the Bodies Exhibit. I don't have a picture of it, but in one body length glass case they had a complete suit of skin, eye, nose, mouth holes, etc. Nothing else gave me the willies - but this. (BTW, those are bands of skin on the body to your left.)

Last but not least, we did the famous Incline ride which overlooks the city and the stadium where the Steelers lost later that night.

2 comments:

Clare said...

Hi Keith! Cool photos from the trip! I've seen Chihuly glass in Ohio, and it really is spectacular. The earthquake simulator hits a little close to home -- since I live near San Francisco!! But that's cool that Whit's structure survived the rock and rolling. S.F. also had an exhibit of bodies like that -- wow, and amazing. And I like the photo below of the tipsy doggie dancing on New Years!
:)

Bill said...

Would you believe my first wife and I spent our honeymoon in Pittsburgh--January 1964.

Search Poor Fool