Tuesday, September 8, 2009

More Blackouts - Could be Terrorists?

Here is a bunch of gobblygook that talks about what "may" be wrong with me, but I have also read about Pulmonary Hypertension presenting itself with similar symptoms.

(Of course, I like Syncope because it almost sounds like a poetry term: Metonymy, Synecdoche, Syncope.)


Syncope is the temporary loss of consciousness or, in plain English, fainting. The situations that trigger this reaction are diverse and include coughing. Situational syncope is caused by a reflex of the involuntary nervous system called the vasovagal reaction. The vasovagal reaction leads the heart to slow down and, at the same time, it leads the nerves to the blood vessels in the legs to permit those vessels to dilate. The result is that the heart puts out less blood, the blood pressure drops, and the blood that is circulating tends to go into the legs rather than to the head. The brain is then deprived of oxygen, and the fainting episode occurs.

Sounds involved.

Here is an additional link I found with a few helpful tips. Reading this and everything else, it is beginning to feel like I am circling the heart disease drain.

Last time it happened, which would have been just this past Sunday on the porch during dinner, I was told my eyes kind of rolled back and I nodded into the table top. Bad Dinner Theater indeed.

3 comments:

Brent Goodman said...

I think it's time to invest in a Victorian fainting chaise, my friend.

Seriously, get checked out. You might have a narrowing somewhere (neck?) that only presents symptoms (fainting) under stressed situations (breathless laughing).

Or you could have late sudden onset narcolepsy. *smile*

Get thee to a medical practitioner.

Julia said...

I'll second Brent. Well, maybe not about the Victorian furniture. The medical practitioner though . . . yeah, that'd be wise.

I hope all's well.

Valerie Loveland said...

Now you have to write a syncope, even if you don't have it.

Search Poor Fool