Sunday, October 5, 2008

Looking Back - Last Month in Review

Here's where I am these days.

As you can tell, I am caught up in politics. With Palin making the rounds, my dander is up and I am frankly terrified. Hence the endless polit posts from my heroes: Amy Goodman, Greg Palast. I hug up to the real news at times like this and try my best to take a deep breath. I put out the truth as I see it. Physically, it's almost too much to take. The bile in the back of my throat takes all night to settle, and then she opens her mouth again. The vicious cycle starts all over again. Joe 6-pack? Please please please let me get what I want this time, as Morrissey would say. Make her go back, make her go away.

I had a good month freelancing, but need to crank up the prospecting by another big ass notch or two. If I were to lose my biggest client, say they hired their own in-house copywriter, I'd be a week or two from the soup line. That is my fear. And my wife Maeve's fear. Looks like I might two or more new clients after my latest push, though. Fingers crossed.

I was laughing so hard the other night, thanks to my son, that I got down on my hands and knees on the floor to try and catch my breath and I freaking blacked out and hit the floor -- all 250 lds. of me. Woke up a few seconds later on the floor looking up at my wife. Face all flush. Had a big knot on my forehead and a serious rug burn on my knee. I thought, "Hmmm, I guess that is what it could be like to die." Snap. Gone. I always imagined I would get a chance to say goodbbye, but this happened without any warning. I was just, out.

Have found an awesome new brew from my heroes at Lagunitas. It is their seasonal Imperial Red Ale. If you live in Ohio, don't buy any. It's mine. All mine.

I have been reading the following: Greg Palast, Armed Madhouse, The Last Apocalypse, James Reston, and now have a pile of books from William Grieder from The Nation. How fucking depressing, these reads, but essential. Why is the truth always so dispiriting.

Played my son in Scrabble today and he did pretty good for an 8-year old dude on the rise. I love him beyond words. That's that.

1 comment:

Brent Goodman said...

Thanks for the catchup. Best of luck on the prospecting! You're such a great dad.

Search Poor Fool