Thursday, June 4, 2009

Rainer Woodruff, June 4, 1998 - July 14, 1998

Back in May, I posted about Amy Issacson Price, a librarian at our branch who recently committed suicide – three years after her young son died. I knew her well enough to feel her absence now, but not well enough to know she was in so much pain. We have this in common, losing a child. My infant son Rainer died back in 1998 from a rare mitochondrial disorder. Today is his birthday and he would be 11. So happy birthday Rainer Walker Woodruff.

Last year, as part of my ongoing grief work, I started volunteering at the Akron Children’s hospital, doing in-hospital visits in the neo natal ICU and regularly visiting the home of a young man with Duchene’s MD. I stuck with it for about a year and a half. Then, between losing my job and having this nagging feeling I just wasn’t where I belonged with my volunteer work, I decided to take a leave.

Amy’s death turned me around and now I am getting back into volunteering -- but in a different vein. Beginning very soon I should be doing follow up calls to bereaved parents as part of the hospital’s growing bereavement services program. It will do me good and maybe I can help someone along the way.

Thinking of you son. Thinking of you too Amy.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Keith:

You are a good guy.

Peace.

Julia said...

I'm sorry beyond words that these parents need your help, but glad to know that you will be there for them.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Amy. I can certainly relate to the sense of futility that comes from losing a child, and how that feeling can turn to wanting to give up on life. But, wow, it's just more tragedy.

You are a brave guy to volunteer at the NICU. I don't know if I could stand to go back in there. And yet, I remember the staff being such remarkably good people. If only everyone were like that.

We watched "Groundhog Day" recently, and Bill Murray's uptick out of total nihilism seemed to have a lot to do with service--to himself (artistically, at the piano), and those around him. Good on you for affirming your life by helping yourself and others.

Andrew Philip said...

Amen to all that.

Search Poor Fool