Friday, December 19, 2008

Smile and say "Barefoot"!

My wife Jenzie turned me on to this hilarious web site called Stuff White People Like. Now, in the throes of the holiday season I see and think about family portraits and ask (in my best Andy Rooney voice) What the hell is it with barefoot people in studio portraits? I think it's more stuff white people like.

There is a secret code going on here in the second photo. Notice how gramps (on the right) has on shoes, but grandma does not; and the dad's barefoot, and mom is in sandals. I think this is what it means to be half casual. Probably some insider photog secret re: flesh to fabric ratios.

5 comments:

Valerie Loveland said...

I didn't know that was a thing!

Keith said...

Well, I throw it out there for consideration. I think it is might just be a thing.

SarahJane said...

I feel kind of sorry for the people in that first photo. What's whit the symmetry? And the thigh-touching? Too much thigh touching.

Anonymous said...

What's odd is that these are studio pictures, not in their backyard or living room. So they all (I assume) WORE SHOES to the place. Then they had to make the conscious decision to take them off. Did they decide it before? Or was it "spontaneous"? Maybe the photographer said, "Hey, let's try this..." (I also think white people love the dress everyone the same for pictures.) 150 years from now people will be sifiting through these somewhere wondering why at the start of the new century did people take formal picutres so casually?

Unknown said...

I can't stand white people.

Search Poor Fool